Welcome to Episode #4 of The Whisky Guy Podcast!
It’s Whisky Wednesday – Time for a dram!
Thanks Mike from Seattle for leaving a voicemail – Which did you enjoy for World Whisky Day?
Whisk(e)y Flavored Bacon!
Interview with Will Maschmeier, founder of 3 Howls Distillery
- Has an art degree, then entered medical device sales
- Started distilling after he was laid off in 2012
- Took longer than expected to get product into bottles because of the uniqueness of his product
- TTB – Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
- More time spent in marketing than in making whisk(e)y
- First batch of single malt, 120 gallons, sold out in 2 months
- Makes more than whisk(e)y to diversify, but also in an effort to emulate craft brewing marketing practices
- Believes in a mix of ‘standard’ bottlings and one-off, specialty bottlings
- Isn’t interested in competing with older, more well established whiskies, but rather wants to make “uniquely northwest” whiskies
- Rye has some chocolate malt
- Hop-flavored whisk(e)y is distilled similarly to a gin with hops in a basked in the still
- Annie is Will’s dog – part of the inspiration for the 3 Howls logo
- Hop-flavored whisk(e)y has a balance of different hops, very light color
- Single Malt – 2 fermentations of 2 different mash bills
- Maturation is abbreviated Solera; light refilling during maturation
- Distillery name comes from a Scottish mythological creature – the ‘Cù Sìth’
- Interview recorded on May 1, 2014, the 2-year anniversary of Will being laid off
- 3 Howls available throughout WA, OR and ID
- Visit 3 Howls online at http://3Howls.com
- Visit 3 Howls on Facebook
- Tweet @3Howls
Tasting Notes: Caol Ila 12
Appearance: Very light honey in color, oily in the glass.
Nose: Smoke, brine, candle wax, well seasoned leather, candied walnuts and grappa sweetness
Flavor: Smokey and Caramel; bounces on the tongue but no spice on the lips
Finish: Long and sharp, cracked black pepper and menthol
Diluted: Aroma goes to chewing tobacco and dry grass, but also floral and stone fruit – heather and peach pits. Water calms the palate and rounds out the flavor
Connect with The Whisky Guy!
Visit the Social page for all the links!
Leave The Whisky Guy a Voicemail!
Tell The Whisky Guy what whiskies you’ll be sharing with friends for Brother’s Day on May 24 or while watching the Indy 500 on May 25! Be featured in next week’s episode; get all the details at http://TheWhiskyGuy.com/voicemail
Next Week – Josh Weltmer, manager of the Lit Lounge at Snoqualmie Casino, on pairing whisk(e)y with cigars
Subscribe to The Whisky Guy Podcast!
Also available on the Windows Phone Podcast Catalog
Receive a FREE link to download How To Taste Whisk(e)y, an eBook by The Whisky Guy, by subscribing to The Whisky Guy Newsletter